Friday, October 14, 2005

"Remember "Push It" was the bomb shit, nuttin like the old school"

I've come to the realization that I'm totally old school! This past weekend I had the pleasure to witness one of the greatest concerts that I will ever attend. I saw one of the two remaining Beatles - Sir Paul McCartney.

It was like watching the Beatles perform. Paul played for 2 hours. He played some of his stuff, some Wings and lots of Beatles. It was amazing. As I was sitting there singing along, I couldn't help but glance around me. First of all, I was the youngest person in the group that went with me to see him. The next youngest was 20 years older than me. There were many 40 & 50 somethings around me, and I realized that my taste in music stretchs well beyond my own generation.

I grew up listening to Oldies music with my Mom. My dad, on the other hand, listened to one station: 98 Rock! I grew up singing with my Mom to the Beatles and rocking out with my dad to Metallica. So it was very appropriate that the only concerts I ever attended with my parents were Paul McCartney (Mom) and Metallica (Dad).

I think my parents had a great influence on me when it came to music. I listen to everything. But my favorites are bands that are either broken up or dead. My iPod is filled with Journey, Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Frank Sinatra and the Beatles. (It also has tons of Nsync, Britney Spears and other boy bands, but that totally doesn't count because that's my guilty pleasure. :-D)

I love classic rock. (Because we all know that 80s hair bands are now considered classic rock) I love riding in my dad's car because that's all we listen to (that and it's a frickin' awesome G35 Coupe!!). He is usually the one asking to listen to something more modern. Of course the modern music I listen to doesn't really qualify. I absolutely love my boy bands. Particularly, I love NSync!!I can't help it...it's catchy and they're all so cute!

People usually respect my choices in music until I mention my love of all things pop! (at least pop from my high school years - '96-2000) I know I have good taste in music considering I listen to just about everything. I indulge in Hip Hop, Rock, R&B, Pop, Country and everything else you can think of with the exception of New Age and Classical. I usually don't have a problem listening to other people's music, unless of course it's Dave Matthews Band which I truly cannot stand except for maybe 2 songs.

But besides my guilty pleasures, my taste in music is eclectic. My little sister has helped me realize this. She used to depend on me for her music. She would listen to whatever new band I was listening to. Now I pass by her room (which is actually my room, but it was taken from me in a hostile takeover while I was in NYC) and she's listening to some pop-punk shit. I ask her what the song is, and she gives me that "Are you kidding? This song came out, like, last summer!!" look! I'm out of it. I have no idea what's hip anymore. Even my friends who used to come for me for music guidance know more about today's music than me. I listen to CDs in my car constantly. Since the demise of B102.7 and most recently HFS, I have abandoned the radio. I feel that no station out there will play the music I want to hear.

But then again, I'm wrong. New stations are popping up all the time. WQSR, the oldies station I grew up listening to, went off the air this Spring. Now it is this awesome station. It totally reminds me of my iPod. One minute it's Bon Jovi, next it's some old school rap song, then it's Nsync and then maybe some Metallica. It's called JACK FM. Apparently it's a generic station that different markets have been picking up on. It's not really broadcast out of Baltimore. I kind of enjoy it.

That is why I have decided to abandon my CD player while driving. I listen to the radio. I want to catch up. I'm in the dark, musically speaking. I have no idea what's popular. I find myself constantly flipping through the radio though. I refuse to listen to commercials. Now I've reverted back to the days of high school, which I'm really unsure about. I hate commercials, one positive to CDs. But what can you do? Oh yeah, satellite...I'm not paying to listen to the radio. I guess that's just the old school in me!

No comments: