Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ice, Ice Baby

So I went to the Phone Booth the other night for the Caps/Islanders game. It was military night at the game, and we ended up scoring a couple of free hats. My dad says he saw Ted Leonis (aka the owner) coming out of a door when we were trying to get a hat. I didn't see him, and he never pointed him out to me, so we can't confirm that sighting. We had an awesome time and it was a pretty great game, except for the fact that we lost! We came away with a point, but it felt like we lost a point.

Alexander Semin drew first blood with a goal around the 2:17 mark in the first period. Brooks Laich got the 2nd goal a few minutes later after deflecting a Mike Green shot into the net. The first period was awesome and the Caps were on fire. Then it went downhill. The Caps were playing well, but the Isles got a goal as a Capitals power play was expiring, catching everyone off guard. Then a fluke goal later we had a tie game. Of course we have Islanders fans sitting with us, so they were pretty stoked. It was annoying that everytime we did a Caps cheer, they had to insert "Islanders" everytime "Caps" or "Capitals" was mentioned. Plus it was little kids. Did I mention they were wearing the Capitals camoflauge hats? Yeah, makes loads of sense!

Anyways, so overtime comes and there were some awesome shots, but some great saves on Rick DiPietro's part. We go to a shootout, and Ovechkin leaves a sure goal on the line with DiPietro falling to his right and Alex to his left. It was heartbreaking. Then Hilary Duff's boyfriend comes up with the game winner. Boo.

The Caps definitely should have won that one. But I still had a lot of fun. I scored some free tickets from work, and my dad and I ended up sitting in a suite right behind the goal. It was pretty sweet! My sister and I are planning to go to the next Student Rush night on March 3rd. It should be a good one.

Now let's hope that the Caps can get the win against Carolina this afternoon. Right now they trail Carolina by 4 points in the Southeast Division. The Canes have also played 3 more games than the Caps, too. So a win tonight is key! Let's Go Caps!!

No comments: